Are you ready for the cold winter months ahead and wondering if a furnace tune-up is worth it? In this article, we’re going to discuss what goes into a furnace tune-up, the benefits of regular maintenance, and whether or not it’s worth investing in annually.
Let’s dive right in and find out!
Is Furnace Cleaning Important
Let’s start with the basics, is furnace cleaning important? If you’re like most people, the thought of having your furnace cleaned probably doesn’t fill you with excitement. After all, it’s not exactly the most glamorous of tasks and probably one of the last things on your mind. However, there are actually some very good reasons to make sure that your furnace is clean and in good working order.
For one thing, a clean furnace is much more efficient than a dirty one. This means that it will use less energy to heat your home, which can save you money on your energy bills. Additionally, a clean furnace will produce fewer pollutants and will be better for your health and the environment.
Does a Furnace Tune-up Make Sense & Is it Cost Effective?
According to Energy.gov, replacing the dirty filters in your furnace or HVAC system can reduce your total energy costs up to 15%. So let’s break that down. Let’s say that your energy bill is $100 per month. Which means by having an annual tune up, you would be saving $180 per year in energy bills. HOWEVER, let’s also factor in the cost of the tune up. The average furnace tune up will cost around $50 – $150 depending on where you live. Here in Huntsville, we charge between $50 and $70. That means you’re still saving money!
Between saving money, improving the lifespan of your furnace, and improving your indoor air quality, getting a furnace tune up is definitely worth it!
How Often Should You Get Your Furnace Cleaned
You should get your furnace cleaned at least once a year, preferably in the fall before you start using it regularly. A professional will be able to clean it more thoroughly than you can, and they’ll also be able to spot any potential problems. If you have pets or live in a dusty area, you may need to get it cleaned more often. But typically once a year is good for most homes.
Signs Your Furnace Need Cleaning
A dirty furnace can lead to a number of problems, including decreased efficiency and increased wear and tear. Here are some signs that it’s time to give your furnace a good cleaning:
- Your furnace is making strange noises. If your furnace starts making rattling, banging, or squealing noises, it could be a sign that the heat exchanger is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
- The flame on your furnace is yellow instead of blue. A healthy flame should be mostly blue with a small yellow tip. If the flame is mostly yellow, it could be a sign that the unit is not getting enough air flow.
- Your furnace isn’t heating as well as it used to. If your furnace isn’t keeping your home as warm as it used to, it could be due to a dirty filter or other blockage in the system.
- The air flow from your vents isn’t as strong as it used to be. This could be due to a build-up of dust and debris in the furnace itself.
- Your energy bills have gone up recently, even though you haven’t changed your usage patterns. This could also be due to a build-up of dirt and debris in the furnace, which makes it less efficient.
- If you’ve recently moved into a new home, one of the first things you should do is get your furnace cleaned. A clean furnace will help ensure that your home is heated properly and efficiently.
- If you have water in your ducts, it’s important to get your furnace cleaned. Water can cause rust and corrosion, which can damage your furnace and lead to expensive repairs. A professional furnace cleaning will remove any water from your ducts and help keep your furnace in good working order.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s time to give your furnace a good cleaning!
Signs That Your Furnace Needs Repairs
Although a cleaning or quick tune up should fix your problems, there are times when your furnace needs repairing instead. it’s important to keep an eye out for signs that it might need repairs. After all, you don’t want your furnace to break down in the middle of winter! Here are some signs to watch out for:
- Your furnace is making strange noises. If your furnace starts making strange noises, it could be a sign that something is wrong with it. You might hear banging, rattling, or even screeching sounds coming from your furnace. If you do, it’s best to call a repairman to take a look at it.
- Your energy bills are suddenly high. If you notice that your energy bills are starting to spike, it could be because your furnace is working harder than usual. This could be due to a number of different factors, including a dirty filter or a problem with the blower motor. Either way, it’s best to have a professional take a look at your furnace to see what’s going on.
- Your home isn’t as warm as it used to be. If you find that your home isn’t as warm as it used to be, even when the thermostat is set at the same temperature, there could be an issue with your furnace. It might not be heating up properly or evenly distributing heat throughout your home. Again, this is something that a professional will need to take a look at.
Although some of these signs are the same as indicating that you may need a cleaning, a professional will be able to come out and assess which route may be right for you.
Furnace Tune Ups Are Worth It
All in all, a furnace tune-up is worth it if you want to ensure that your home stays warm and comfortable during the cold winter months. Not only will this help with energy efficiency, but it can also save you money on costly repairs down the line. So make sure to keep up with regular maintenance for your furnace so that you can enjoy a worry-free winter season!
If you need local HVAC professionals in Huntsville, Alabama, or the surrounding areas, give us a call here at Thomas Service Company. We’re your local and friendly pros!